Little-Known But Worth Visiting Golf Courses In Portugal, Algarve
While every golfer dreams of playing at St. Andrews or Augusta National, it's the rounds at the off-the-beaten-path courses that give us the fondest memories. Golfers visiting the Algarve will have heard of Quinta Do Lago and Monte Rei, however there are many more courses that don't hog the spotlight but are well worth playing.
Here are 7 of the best golfing diamonds in the Algarve rough:
- Balaiai - This nine-hole course will give you a chance to practice your iron shots and your short game so bring your scoring clubs. The course is part of the Balaia Village Holiday Complex if you need a place to stay before or after your round.
- Gramacho – Designed by former British Open winner and David Leadbetter student, Nick Price. As you would expect from a course designed by one of the game’s best ever ball-strikers, accuracy is a must at Gramacho.
- Pine Cliffs - The famous "Devil's Parlour" hole requires a 200 meter carry over a ravine to reach the green. If the thought of playing this hole terrifies you, just peer down at the sandy beaches and Blue Ocean below to regain your composure. Only 9 holes so you'll be round in no time.
- Vila Sol - Part of the Pestana resort with Gramacho and a host of other courses. The Vila Sol Championship course is 18 holes and 6,500 yards so you'll need to get in the gym and bring your biggest driver with you to reach the greens. If you want a shorter test, the Village Sol Academy course is ideal for players who want to get done before it gets dark.
- Oceanico Laguna - The Laguna is frequently overshadowed by the neighboring Faldo Oceanico. This course has more of a links feel than other Algarve course. With so few trees and the Atlantic Ocean nearby, strong winds are always a factor. Multiple water hazards and 80-odd bunkers only add to the difficulty.
- Morgado - Twinned with the Alamos course, the Mogrado is a wide course with large fairways and bunkers so your ball striking stats should solid for the day.
- Boavista - The course is very close to the town of Lagos. The 18-hole par 71 course winds through a variety of trees and foliage to the delight of nature lovers. The club provides lots of extra-curricular activities such as Football Pitch, Health Spa, Golf Academy, Kids Playground, etc.